1. Home
  2. /
  3. Other buildings and news projects

Other buildings and news projects

The many buildings, owned by the University, were built over several centuries from the Middle Ages to today and include plans for future projects.

With traces of its medieval origins such as that found in Palazzo Bo, its former bell tower, the beamed ceilings of its Medical Degree Hall, and coverage of frescoes.
The Hall of the Giants in Palazzo Liviano, offers an array of retouched frescoes depicting illustrious figures who appear in the Latin prose De viris illustribus written by Petrarch.
While the walls of Palazzo Maldura offer a glimpse into the aristocratic Papafava da Carrara family of Padua, the former Teatro Ruzante, along the Tito Livio Riviera, also offers a medieval layout.

Over several centuries, the University of Padua has acquired both new and historic properties.

Palazzo Selvatico Luzzatto Dina
Via del Vescovado, 30 – 35141 Padua
Since the 15th century, the building was the main residence of the Selvatico family, who were responsible for its renovations over the centuries. With numerous rooms, the noble residence still holds the remains of the sumptuous stucco and fresco decorations painted between the 16th and 18th centuries. Since 1989, it has belonged to the University as a bequest of the last Luzzatto heir Dina.

Palazzo Mocenigo Belloni Battagia (then Casa della Studentessa)
Via Sant’Eufemia, 3/4 – 35121 Padua
Expanded and remodelled over several decades, the complex includes a 16th century palace and a building designed for the University of Padua during the second half of the 20th century by the architect Giulio Brunetta. Used exclusively for the female student body, the building closed to the public after an earthquake that damaged it in 2012. Fresco cycles from the 16th and 17th century remains visible in the historic building. Watch the video to find out more. Watch the video

Palazzo del Capitanio and the Sala delle Edicole
Piazza Capitaniato 3 – 35139 Padua
The former headquarters of one of the two Venetian rulers in Padua, the site became part of the ancient Reggia dei Carraresi complex. Renovated at the beginning of the 17th century, the fall of the Serenissima (Venice Republic) saw the complex passed down and fragmented into various bodies.  Partly sold to the University in 1960, a portion stood as the seat of the then Teaching Faculty. Hints of its ancient splendour remain along the upper floor, as one room of the current library showcases painted frieze and a ceiling designed by Italian Renaissance sculptor Jacopo Sansovina, The majestic Sala delle Edicole offers frescoes painted in 1607 by Gaspare Giona.

Palazzo Michiel Contarini
Via San Massimo, 33 – 35131 Padua
Porticos dotted with frescoes dating back to the 16th century palace, once home to brothers Giovanni Alvise and Fantin Michiel, the palace displays several attribution associated by architect Andrea Moroni.  The city purchased the inherited property from the Contarini family in 1875 after various changes of ownership. A century later, the university began using it as a college.

Palazzo Sala
Via S. Francesco, 13 – 35121 Padua
The 16th century residence of the noble Paduan Sala family of Germanic origin, the palace underwent several radical transformations over the last two centuries. At the end of the 19th century, the palace became the Pietro Selvatico Art School, then social security headquarters of Padua, before the University purchased it in 1966.
The facade displays heterogeneous elements, in which lexical choices of various geographical origins and different artistic levels are brought together. Inside, the building preserves an important fresco frieze hidden from view by false ceilings.

Palazzo Maldura
Piazzetta Gianfranco Folena, 1 – 35137 Padua
Built in the 16th century, and upgraded in 1769 thanks to the lawyer Andrea Maldura, who commissioned the work to architect Giovan Battista Novello.  The palace constitutes one of the most interesting and eloquent cases of monumental fresco painting in Padua from the late Baroque to the first decades of the 19th century. Among the masters involved in the rich and extremely varied decoration of its rooms, include Costantino Cedini, Giovanni Battista Mengardi, and Giambattista Canal. After a period of abandonment, the University purchased the building in 1970. Learn more

Palazzo Wollemborg
Via del Santo, 28 – 35123 Padua
The appearance of the building is the result of the renovation of the previous Capodilista residence carried out by Antonio Noale in the 19th century for the Wollemborg family. Before this, the building underwent several changes when the family decided to renovate the main floor according to an Art Nouveau style in the early 20th century. Today the stucco frieze remains, while a large part of the building reflects the fashions of the late 19th – early 20th century. In 1966, the palace was added to the University’s list of historical sites.

Palazzo Dottori
Via del Santo, 28 – 35123 Padua
Built in 1775 by Andrea Zorzi for the Dottori family, the building has occupied various owners over the centuries. The Lion family lived here in the early 19th century; the Wollemborgs family leased it to the Bank of Italy before the University acquired it in 1964. Inside sculpted balustrades embrace an elegant staircase and features several stucco decorations.

Ca’ Borin
Via del Santo, 22 – 35123 Padua
This 18th century noble palace is now home to the Economic, Newspaper and Geography Libraries of the University of Padua. Inhabited by the aristocratic Borini family until the early 20th century, the palace was handed down to the Wollemborgs family before given to the University in 1968.
The main floor offers an impressive hall and fireplace room refined with stucco embellishments from the second half of the 18th century.

Palazzina del Prefetto dell’Orto
Via Orto Botanico, 15 – 35123 Padua
The 16th century building stood as the home of the Director of the Botanical Gardens (traditionally called “prefectto”) until 1970.  Major renovation took place in the 18th century, including the main facade featuring a Venetian window and a balcony supported by a series of ornamented balusters across the first floor. With Venetian terrazzo floors spread along the main floors, the well-preserved original wooden beams adds great value to an already impressive space, while the once important art gallery is no longer found.

Palazzo de’ Claricini
Via Cesarotti, 10/12 – 35123 Padu
Once associated with the Bolognese de Claricini family, the palace includes an 18-century T-shaped structure upon three levels and a secondary underground wing overlooking an inner garden. A 19th-century building forms two levels while the southern side offers two gardens within a 20-century castle adorned with crenellated turrets. Wall decorations found indoors are of great interest, especially those on the main floor of the 18th-century building.

Palazzetto Costruzioni Marittime
Via Marzolo, 9 – 35131 Padua
The 18-century building stood as a residence and a headquarters for the Armenian Fathers of Venice until the first half of the 19th century. In 1925, it became property of the University of Padua used as the Agricultural Garden and then the Institute of Maritime Construction under the Faculty of Engineering.  Featuring a large stone-carved portico facing the street paired against square pillars forming three bays and a decorative mascaron mask on the entrance door keystone. Divided between three floors encompassed by large hall, a wooden beam attic adorns its interior setting.

Palazzo Duodo (Former, ex Disegno)
Via Jappelli, 1 – 35121 Padua
As the former property of the noble Michiel family of Venice, the Duodo family purchased the palace in the 1720s and preceded to carry several renovations. Much work focused on the façade and a small courtyard along the Santa Sofia canal, as well as a garden and various outbuildings. During the 19th century, ownership passed to the Sceriman family and then to the Manin Public Charity Institute of Venice, which maintained it until the beginning of the 20th century before taken over by the University. Now, the complex holds two buildings within an independent configuration, separated by a courtyard open to the street and joined by a building with two floors above ground that features a loggia and three arches across the ground floor.

Palazzo Anselmi Casale
Lungargine del Piovego – 35131 Padua

Palazzo Levi-Cases
Via del Santo, 33 – 35123 Padua
The complex came into the possession of the University following the bequest of engineer Giorgio Levi-Cases in 1961. Soon a series of transformations took place in the mid-19th century, which coincided with the renovation of the neighbouring Palazzo Giacomini by Giuseppe Jappelli. From the street, we see four floors high above a tripartite structure occupied by a vast portico on the ground floor that connects to an internal courtyard giving access to the rooms on the north and south side of the building.  Access to the main stairwell is located along the north wall and marked by a beautiful stone portal with architrave. The building shows fragments of a bas-relief frieze of neoclassical style in one of the rooms on the ground floor.  A wooden floor with a geometric design covers an impressive hall while a meeting room features an 18th-century ceiling with elaborate wooden beams.

Complesso di Ingegneria (Engineering Complex)
Via Venezia, 1 – 35131 Padua
Structured around two courtyards, and built across a succession of phases between 1911 and 1919, the complex began as a project of the engineer Daniele Donghi. In the following decades it experienced numerous and significant additions and restructurings that erased much of its original appearance. The building still features several murals created by Padua artist and decorator Giovanni Vianello.

Edificio di Fisica (Physics Building)
Via Francesco Marzolo, 8 – 35121 Padua
Bruno Rossi, known for playing a pivotal role in the Manhattan Project, inaugurated the building in 1937.  With a rationalist view towards architecture, the building offers clean and essential lines to maximum functionality and use of spaces.  Modern materials include reinforced concrete with air pockets for the attics, linoleum floorings across laboratories and classrooms, and compressed asphalt spread along office floors.  Light materials used in the attic provide the laboratory space to conduct research on cosmic radiation shielded by a protective metal mesh. Great thought for innovative solutions include systems and instrumentation of classrooms and laboratories. Although partly disseminated, today we still see an expressly unique design meant to stimulate and facilitate research.

Istituti anatomici (Anatomical Institutes)
Via Gabelli, 63/65/67 – 35121 Padua
Based on a design by the architect Guido Fondelli, the building covers an area adjacent to the Giustinianeo Hospital. The horizontal E-shaped structure housed the Anatomical Institutes, but intended to occupy the school of human anatomy, forensic medicine and pathological anatomy. The Aula Falloppio room offers a splendid wooden anatomical theatre and nearby Aula Acquapendente dissection room. The Morgagni room highlights a decorative apparatus and historical furniture and sits as the Morgagni Museum of Anatomy. In 2022, the University unveiled an original mural by Milo Manara painted across its atrium.

Istituti chimici (Institutes of Chemistry)
Via Francesco Marzolo, 1 – 35131 Padua
Through a series of renovation from the 1950s to the 1980s, the original look of this early 20th century building by the engineer Tomasatti has completely changed. Only a touch of the buildings history remains, including its independent architectural style of eclectic taste that offers hints of neo-Renaissance across some decorative details on the façade.  The two-storey building sits above ground an “E” shape floorplan and adjoining classrooms.

Istituto di Farmacologia (Institute of Pharmacology)
Largo Meneghetti, 2 – 35131 Padua
The peculiar L shaped building, designed in the early 20th century by engineer Tomasatti offers a triangular configuration across its land parcel.  The building served as accommodation for officer cadets during WWI, and became property of the University again in 1919, dedicating it Francesco Buonafede.  In 1932, under Egidio Meneghetti, the building expanded, altering its original shape.  A second expansion took place in the 1950s, citing the eclectic style of the main building, turning it original appearance almost indistinguishable.

Istituto di Fisiologia e di Chimica organica (Institute of Physiology and Organic Chemistry)
Via Marzolo 3 – 35131 Padua

Istituto di Igiene (Institute of Hygiene)
Via Loredan, 18 – 35131 Padua
While the original plan of the historic building remains substantially unchanged, the “E” shape design by engineer Tomasatti in the early 20th century defines the distinctive taste of the time that include several decorative deco styled elements. The original pediment of the main façade no longer remains, while the main structure became elevated in the late 1970s. The extending wings grew beyond the main stairwell on the ground floor and basement while a minor extension elongated the building to the west.

Casa dello Studente Fusinato (Fusinato Student Housing)
Via Marzolo, 6 – 35131 Padua
Aimed at creating a multifunctional complex for students of the University, the original construction of the building dates back to 1922. With complementary spaces such as gym and library, the inauguration of the complex in 1935 stood as an important example of Italian rationalist architecture. Focused on projects that benefit students, the building closed in 2005 and will reopen for student housing as part of several major University redevelopment projects.

Osservatorio di Asiago (Asiago Observatory)
Via dell’Osservatorio 8, 36012 Asiago (VI)
Inaugurated on 27 May 1942, the Astrophysical Observatory of Asiago was designed by the engineer Daniele Calabi. The complex included an observation tower as well as residential space and offices for researchers.  Designed by Officine Galileo in Florence, the telescope and the revolving dome was used for over many years for scientific research, while the telescope is now used mainly for educational purposes. Learn more

Stazione Idrobiologica di Chioggia (The Hydrobiological Station of Chioggia)
Isola, Calle S. Domenico, 3 – 30015 Chioggia (VE).
Established in 1940 along the northeastern quadrant of the island of San Domenico, activities of the Hydrobiological Station were granted to the University of Padua two years later. Since then, the station carries out pioneering studies protection and management of ichthyofauna and the breeding of new fish found within the ecosystems of the Venice lagoon and the Northern Adriatic. Held across two buildings, the larger space (about 450 m²) is dedicated to research activities, while the second space (about 250 m²) functions as a guesthouse that can accommodate up to ten people.

Ex Gruppo Rionale Bonservizi (former Bonservizi Group)
Via Giordano Bruno 27 – 35124 Padua
Built in 1938 as the local fascist headquarters, the building soon became the base of the Black Brigades of the RSI and later the seat of the English command. Once becoming public property, the University of Padua than began using is for student housing, then as a University Sports Centre that still manages it today.
The buildings representative seasons of time running from the second half of the 20th century to today. The post-war period reflects upon an area that held the internal staff linked to a prevailing University.  In recent years, the changes seen are due to the participation of prestigious Italian and international firms.

The representative buildings of this period of construction, which runs from the second half of the twentieth century to the present, are the result of special commissions from the University. In the postwar period, direct assignments to internal personnel or in any case linked to the University prevailed, but in recent years assignments were made through tenders, which saw the participation of prestigious firms, including international ones.

Clinica Pediatrica (Paediatric Clinic)
Inaugurated in 1956 and designed by architect Daniele Calabi, the Paediatric Clinic covers several floors across various independent elevations.  With a central frame and two blocks, the architect chose meticulous materials that convey the subdivision from an exterior function, and a mosaic created by Gino Severini preserves the look of its main entrance.

Clinica Ostetrica (Obstetric Clinic)
What had been the former villa of Bishop Nicolò Giustiniani since 1890, the building underwent a series of renovation and expansion between 1953 and 1956. Originally designed by architects Daniele Calabi and Giulio Brunetta, but due to the war, only Brunetta would remain in Italy to see its completion. The Chapel offers multiple decorative additions carried out after World War II.

Clinica Ortopedica (Orthopedic Clinic)

Clinica Semeiotica (former Pharmaceutical Clinic)

Clinica Dermofisopatica (Clinic of Dermatology and Syphilis)

Osservatorio astrofisico di Asiago (Asiago Astrophysical Observatory)
Inaugurated on May 27, 1942 in the absence of its architect Daniele Calabi. The drafting of the project took place under the direction of Calabi who followed each stage of the Observatory construction until 1938, when fascist laws forced him out of the country. The observatory, for which he had chosen a pinkish-grey stone extracted from local quarries, holds two buildings. The observation tower, located on the highest point and a building intended for the offices and residence for astronomers. The telescope holds a parabolic mirror built by Officine Galileo in concert with a technical commission from the University of Padua.
Learn more

Policlinico
Built between 1952 and 1954, the clinic combines various treatment centres thanks to the design elements developed by Daniele Calabi and Giulio Brunetta, but due to the war, only Brunetta would see its completion. The atrium offers a series of interesting murals panted by artist Gino Morandis.

Casa della Gioventù Universitaria (Bressanone)
Inaugurated in 1953 the town of Bressanone, which has hosted two seasons of summer courses for the University of Padua, the youth centre was designed by architect Giulio Brunetta, who also designed several other University buildings.

Torre Archimede (Archimede’s Tower)

Fiore di Botta
Inaugurated on 30 September 2014 as the Biology and Biomedicine teaching centre, the structure designed by architect Mario Botta convers five buildings arranged in a circular pattern. Today, the building boasts as one of the most cutting-edge university complexes from a constructional and technological point of view.

Complesso di Psicologia (Psychology Complex)

Dipartimento di Geoscienze (Department of Geosciences)

Complesso Beato Pellegrino (Beato Pellegrino Complex)
Inaugurated in 2019, the Beato Pellegrino Complex once housed a geriatric hospital and now sits as a modern facility encompassing over 23,000 square metres of educational excellence.
Architect Paolo Portoghesi oversaw renovations of its vast 4500 square metered library holding 300 seats, 2300 square meters of classrooms holding 1500 seat and, and offices space with 400 dedicated workstation. Aimed as a project dedicated to sustainability, the completion of the complex offers open spaces for the social interaction between the city of Padua, its students and scholars of the Humanistic Centre. Learn more

The projection of the University into the ninth century also means the possibility of building new places of knowledge, so as to organically and rationally distribute activities fragmented or sacrificed in unsuitable spaces, and enhance, also architecturally, the presence of the University in the city, transforming it more and more into a campus open to the participation of citizens and the territory.

Piave Futura (former Piave military barracks)
Plans to redesign and renovate the former Piave military barracks include an additional university campus dedicated to young people and citizens of Padua focused on creating an area to explore on foot or by bicycle. Architect David Chipperfield will oversee the design of the renovation of the existing building as the project takes over the historic 51,000 square-metered building by creating a fluid area set in harmony with vast green spaces. Learn more

Polo dell’ingegneria in Fiera (Engineering Innovation Hub)
The renovation of a pavilion at the Padua Exhibition Hall will give rise to a new teaching centre for engineering studies.  With growing interested in this field, the new space will train professionals to meet the needs of the marketplace by stimulating and encouraging opportunities to share objectives and discuss innovation. The hub will be divided across four floors with classrooms, study rooms, meeting and functional spaces. Learn more

Casa dello Studente Fusinato (Fusinato Student Housing)

The renovation plans for the Fusinato Student House plays an inextricably linked to the life of the University, as it will become the residence of it Galilean School of Higher Studies. The elite school offer excellence that completes the University’s degree courses with targeted activities in a multidisciplinary environment. Learn more

Complesso di Via Campagnola (The Campagnola Complex)
Offering 250 seats within each of its three classrooms, and a green area open to the city, the new complex on via Campagnola is a true investment set in the heart of Padua. The recovery project includes clear access to the two Jewish cemeteries and spans an area with a medieval structure. It is in this expanse that the University of Padua continues to follow its commitment and philosophy of sustainable architecture by extending a gift to the local community with an open green space that is accessible to all. Learn more

Nido per l’infanzia Milla Baldo Ceolin (The Milla Baldo Ceolin Child Day-care Centre)
The University of Padua will open the Milla Baldo Ceolin Child Day-care Centre as a means to improve work-life balance of its faculty and staff. Thanks to the approved Positive Action Plans and the Gender Equality Plan, the innovative and affordable educational day-care centre will open on via Ognissanti. Learn more

Istituto ex Cini Chioggia (former Cini Chioggia Institute)